Saturday, August 23, 2008

Toward Niagara Falls - Day 6

Our friends at Redeemer University College provided breakfast this morning (in addition to the supper last night.) We left at 7 a.m. and didn't take any snacks or lunch foods because we knew there were several church groups along the way who would provide refreshments. That is what happened. At Providence CRC in Beamsville we were served lunch, which included a variety of sandwiches, choices of beverages, potato chips, pickles and lots of homemade cookies and bars. A man came up to me to ask if I knew where his daughter-in-law, Cynthia Aukema, was, and I said I hadn't seen her yet, but I was curious if she was related to me. We talked a bit and figured out that not only did Jim Aukema know Owen and MaryLou, but the young man across the table was the son of Dan's Alice's brother, and Jim A. had a daughter who was an artist and lived in Saugatuck and knew John and Marty. It has been said that there is only one degree of separation between any two people on this tour. Have to go eat supper at Beacon Christian School now (in St. Catherine's, Ontario). Then after supper we will go to spend the night with some soon-to-be-discovered hosts. Every day is an adventure.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

Hello Carol and Rich! I'm finally catching up on your blog and it is so uplifting, and I might have to admit - extremely humbling! We went on our annual motorcycle ride last week and Dad asked if we were "roughing" it. I said, are you kidding, we're too old! I can't wait to hear more of your stories when you return. I prayed for you daily on our trip and every bicycle we passed I thought of you. I'm so very proud of you both. See you soon. Love, Gloria